Wednesday, January 19, 2011

So I was inspired by someone... who I don't even know.

Being inspired by another makes me think of what is actually a 'true' inspiration. Something that creates itself from pretty much nothing. Like the Earth and the Universe; sometimes even mankind.
I watched the movie Inception and thought about the idea of true inspiration for all of 3 minutes before the plot of the movie erased most of that train of thought. But today, as I was inspired by another mid-twenties woman's words, I can't help but wonder what 'true' inspiration is and if it actually exists the way we think of it.

For example: When I was 13 I had this HUGE complex because despite my hip length auburn waves I had the body of a boy. Late bloomer as I was I didn't get anything resembling real boobs till I was 17. I'm still growing hips to this day. Anyways, I had this thing about hiding my imperfectness and hated shorts with a passion. But, damn if it doesn't get HOT in Texas. So I had this great Idea! I'd cut off a pair of pants just a few inches or so below my knees and wear that instead.
Feeling all proud of myself I soon realized that I was not the first to think of this solution. My grandmother (who was born in 1925) called them Pedal Pushers, my aunt (who survived been a 20 year old in the 60's) called them Highwaters, and the very next summer they came out in mass as something called Capri's.
To this day, ever now and again when I have nothing better to think about, I wonder if everything has already been thought of. Maybe all those lost thoughts are floating around in our genetic memories, or the ether, or whatever lingering things on this planet float in, only to land on one of us like a peculiar dandelion seed.
What is needed to make inspiration true? When I thought up my solution for shorts 10 years ago I felt truly self inspired.
All this brings to mind something that I've read a few times over the years: "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say: "Look! This is something new!"? It was here already, long ago, before our time."

Really, I don't mind not having a 'true' or a 'new' inspiration. Just being inspired feels me with an amazing feeling of possibility, hope, and purpose. In this case the pro's are worth the con's.
What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that's so true that "just being inspired feels me with an amazing feeling of possibility..." like you say.

    I think everything on the earth is a block of "possibility". The possibility doesn't have specific answers but they just are giving something to us all the time so that, yeah, we or you can feel to be inspired.

    I also think such a feeling, inspiration, is a proof how you consciously live in the world. though. :)

    ReplyDelete