Monday, October 22, 2012

the Sandland Diaries 1: Produce Peculiarities

I like titles, unfortunately I'm bad at them unless it's the first thing that comes to mind. In the past few days I've also discovered that I like to categorize things, put things in little boxes of like items so they don't mix in the drawer and so on. Quilting has only made it worse.
Jex and I are back in Sandland for a two week stay. All the fun and not so fun of the forever beach in the fall has hit us the last week, and we've one more to go. Also, I've decided that I'm going to punch Jex's C.O. in the face if I ever see her again... I might not actually do it; the military fear of higher ranking officers and what they can do to your man is too ingrained in me, but I will imagine it while being as civil as is required to not be aggressively hostile. So many faces that need to be punched, too much social and legal backlash that could result. *sigh*

Anyhoop, I've discovered more than just my odd need to categorize odds and ends. And my phone decided to take some nice pictures (it knew both the camera's are dead and decided to be nice to me I guess).

Hooping!
You don't know what this is do you? Yes it has to do with hoola hoops. ON FIRE!!!! Or with LED lights! WAH! I'm going to jump into this because I haven't found a decently priced belly dance class near by, and I dearly miss it. It kinda feels like an upgrade because belly dancing you get to play with swords, but hooping involves flame! *maniacal laughter*

Ah, video for you. My friend Cait, who spins poi (their fire balls on strings invented by the Mauri (sp?) of New Zealand, she hasn't graduated to fire yet but she has some really fun LED poi now) found this and showed it to me.

Ima do this! *haha*
The first step however is to make a regular hoop. Which I'm going to try and do with Cait today. I'd love to be able to afford the fancy tapes and stuff, but I'm cheap so it'll probably be ducktape. Then, when I stop hitting myself in the face/head/eyeball all the time I'll probably beg Jex for an LED hoop... followed by a fire hoop. *evil grin* I can't wait!
We'll ee if I'm this excited about it after my first black eye. Because you know it's going to happen.

Oh! Another super rad discovery I made was on my first trip to a Trader Joe's.
Do you know what a brusslesprout plant looks like? No?
It looks like THIS!


Coolest discovery this month so far. And it was really heavy. This stock weighed close to 9lbs on it's own. I bought one just to show Jex, and it wasn't that pricey either. Two big hearty russian meals came from this bad boy, and it was fun too. Apparently you can just throw this whole thing in the oven and bake it and dip the sprouts in stuff like a fondue pot of butter and heaven. I popped them off the stalk and cooked them in ways I'm more familiar with because it wasn't my nor Cait's kitchen we were using. 

Aaaand, this is what Jex does when I turn my back on him for 10 seconds. I dubbed it the "Great Pyramid of Gala" because 'granny' didn't quite fit the pun. 


~The light heart lives long. <3 p="p">



No comments:

Post a Comment