Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Little Things (just a random Rem thought)

You know the things you really don't pay attention to? The little things. They can cause or fix BIG problems. Through out my life I've noticed this on a small scale, but being married has made this truth so much more tangible to me.
Little things will make me angry. Little things will make him quiet and upset. Little things will mess up something nice. Little things will make me laugh. Little things will make him blush and smile. Little things will turn a bad day into a good day.
And it's never the same little thing.

I guess that's what keeps life interesting.

So, I've been thinking about language a lot recently. Mostly because of the problems I'm having continuing my studies on my own.
And it makes me wonder how it came to be. It's just a sequence of sounds, a bunch of squiggly lines on a page, that we use to convey some of our most important ideas and treasured feelings. It's amazing how something so small can be something so essential.
Conversely, language can be a barrier. People can get so stuck on the words being said that they completely miss the feelings beneath them.
It boggles my mind that such a grand invention can work against us so thoroughly sometimes.

It's the little things that make up our world, our life, our hearts.

1 comment:

  1. I believe language connects culture. And it also connect philosophy, like western thoughts process come from the Greek philosophy and our thoughts come from Chinese one. Probably, these philosophical thoughts may help you to find answers for your questions: how langl. came to be.

    Norie ;)

    ReplyDelete